Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Flag Day - Postcard Friendship Friday #67

 
When I was little, I believed flags flown on June 14, were to celebrate the day I was born.  In school, I soon discovered Flag Day actually originated in 1885, by a Wisconsin school teacher, Mr. B.J. Cigrand. This wonderful teacher pushed hard for a special day to celebrate the birthday of the American Flag.

The idea caught on--on June 14, 1889, George Balch, a teacher from New York City, planned Flag 'Birthday' celebrations for the children of his school.  Later on, these celebrations were adopted by the State Board of Education of New York. In 1891, the Betsy Ross House in Philadelphia held a Flag Day celebration and on June 14 of the following year, the New York Society of the Sons of the Revolution, celebrated Flag Day.

In 1914, Franklin K. Lane, United States Secretary of the Interior spoke these stirring words--words he said came from the Flag itself, "I am what you make me; nothing more. I swing before your eyes as a bright gleam of color, a symbol of yourself." 

But it wasn't until August 3rd, 1949, that President Truman signed an Act of Congress designating June 14th of each year as National Flag Day.

* Don't forget to visit Gemma at Greyscale Territory for Weekend Mailbox!

NOTE:  You don't have to stick to the theme I chose each Friday.  Just put up the postcards you love and tell us why you like them!  Have fun everyone!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar