Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Now For A Zombie Break

Welcome to OctoberFeast! Even though I am a day late getting this started, welcome anyway. Sorry for missing the very first day of the new month, but I needed some sleep! I was really dragging yesterday. After I got everything done, I sat down to watch Zombie Holocaust (1980), and barely made it through the film awake. I figured my body was trying to tell me something, so I went to bed instead of bothering with the review. Anyway, I decided to call this OctoberFeast because it sounds kind of cool to me. What better way to get through October than by feasting on movies? Well not literally of course, but you get the idea.

Zombie Holocaust starts off in New York where we meet Lori Ridgeway (Alexandra Delli Colli). She is working at a hospital, where body parts from dead people are disappearing. First it is a hand, that is sawed off. Then it is a heart. They catch the guy in the act, trying to take another heart. When they turn the lights on, they discover that the guy, who works at the hospital, is about to eat the heart. He manages to get away, and finds a window to jump out of. Too bad for him, he is more than a few floors off the ground. Lori seems to know something about the cannibals, that are being discovered more and more around the city and country. She does manage to figure it out after she sees a symbol on one of the dead cannibals. It is the same symbol that is on a knife back at her place. When she gets back to her place, the knife is gone! Dr. Peter Chandler (Ian McCulloch) convinces Lori to go to the island where the cannibals come from, along with Susan (Sherry Buchanan), a reporter that feels she has a big story on her hands. Will they find the answers they are looking for? And where are the freaking zombies at?

I really wanted to like Zombie Holocaust, because it sounded like it was going to be like the film Zombie (or Zombi 2, depending on who you ask). In fact, Zombie Holocaust uses the same location and set as Zombie did. It has a plot that shares a few things with Zombie as well, as the both start in New York. There is a doctor that is experimenting on the undead, for different reasons in each film though. Zombie Holocaust was a little hard for me to watch, because I was so tired when I started it. The slow pace that the film has sure didn't help. I never did fall asleep, but I was struggling not to do so at times. The first zombie doesn't show up until close to the fifty minute mark. It's not that the story up to that point isn't interesting. It is just that with a name like Zombie Holocaust, I was expecting to see zombies, and a shit load of them to be honest. Instead we find a handful of them.

The zombies themselves do look good. The only problem I really had with how they looked, is that it seemed that only their faces were made-up. The body itself looked normal. Sometimes their hands, and part of their arms, were also in make up. The other effects also looked very good. Lot of guts get pulled out and munched on, not by the zombies (sadly), but by the cannibals. While they looked good, I couldn't help but notice the lack of blood. It was there, just not a whole lot of it. With the wounds that were being inflicted on people, there should have been a whole lot more. The zombies are fairly old school, other than they don't really attack anyone. They walk real slow, look ugly, and all that good stuff. The doctor is using them to try and find eternal life. If that is how I will look if I get to live forever, I would rather just kick the bucket.

Zombie Holocaust wasn't a bad film really. I just didn't like the slow pace so much this time around. I didn't care for the fact that, despite the name, there were very few zombies, nor did they really do anything. If you want a very good, and gory, zombie film out of Italy, I suggest you go with Zombi 2 instead. Zombie Holocaust could have been so much better with what it had going for it. Too bad it didn't even try to live up to its name.
2 out of 5 Remind me to never become a zombie

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar